I just read an article on writing and its benefits. This reminded me of all those times that I wanted to put my thoughts on paper; especially, thoughts and ideas that came to me while running. All the ideas that come to me while running my long runs seem brilliant, creative, and unique. By the time I come home, however, I have already moved on to another mode and ideas remain unwritten.
The article I read urges writers not to use long sentences and big words, to make clear statements, avoid the abstract, and practice writing in this way every day for six months. This will be like training for the marathon I ran for the first time in my life in April 2017 in Vienna. I had also started training for the marathon some 4 months before.
Throughout my long runs that lasted for some 2, 3, and 4 hours as part of my training, I thought of writing a book entitled "The Memoirs of a First Time 68-Year-Old Marathon Runner." I even planned the chapters but April came and I ran the Vienna Marathon in 5.5 hours and the book was not written.
Practice
It seems that practice is the key to writing and also to running marathons. I think the first time I read about the importance of practice in writing is when I read Haruki Murakami's memoir, in which he writes about his interest and participation in long-distance running. He talks about the importance of discipline and practice in writing,emphasizing that creativity does not just come to him. He writes about his strict schedule every day.
There is something soothing about schedules; especially, when there is a goal ahead. Schedules are an anti-dote for indecisiveness and they give a meaning to your day.
The article I read urges writers not to use long sentences and big words, to make clear statements, avoid the abstract, and practice writing in this way every day for six months. This will be like training for the marathon I ran for the first time in my life in April 2017 in Vienna. I had also started training for the marathon some 4 months before.
Throughout my long runs that lasted for some 2, 3, and 4 hours as part of my training, I thought of writing a book entitled "The Memoirs of a First Time 68-Year-Old Marathon Runner." I even planned the chapters but April came and I ran the Vienna Marathon in 5.5 hours and the book was not written.
Practice
It seems that practice is the key to writing and also to running marathons. I think the first time I read about the importance of practice in writing is when I read Haruki Murakami's memoir, in which he writes about his interest and participation in long-distance running. He talks about the importance of discipline and practice in writing,emphasizing that creativity does not just come to him. He writes about his strict schedule every day.
There is something soothing about schedules; especially, when there is a goal ahead. Schedules are an anti-dote for indecisiveness and they give a meaning to your day.

No comments:
Post a Comment